|Alan Godfrey Maps|
|Old Ordnance Survey Maps|
This detailed map covers the village of Llanymynech, which straddles the border between England and Wales. Indeed, this map also doubles as Montgomeryshire Sheet 11.05. The Lion Hotel is split by the border which meant until the 1960s that one part of the bar had to be closed on Sundays; the border is meticulously shown on this map. Transport features strongly here. Llanymynech was a station on the Cambrian Railway and a junction with the Shropshire Railway (here shown intact but 'disused') later the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway; also with the Llanfyllin Branch. Another disused line is shown, plus mineral tramways to limekilns. The Shropshire Union Canal runs through the map and Careghofa Locks are at the western edge. Other features include St Agatha's church, Pont Llanymynech, Wern, Pen-y-voel Hall, Afon Vyrnwy, Plas-cerig. On the reverse we include a directory for the village in 1905.