Publisher: Old House Books
Series: Old House Wall Map
Format: Paper Wall Map, 400 x 585 mm
The Great Fire of London started at the kings bakery in Pudding Lane in the early hours of 2nd September 1666. Before the last flames were extinguished, 5 days later, 436 acres, 13,200 houses and 87 churches, including St.Pauls Cathedral, lay in ruins. This pictorial map was commissioned by The Lord Mayor to plan the reconstruction. It shows the full extent of the vast area that was totally devastated by the fire. The roads and riverside wharves are marked; the sites of 170 major buildings that were destroyed are listed. It even shows the coats of arms of over 50 Livery Company halls that were lost. There are also detailed drawings of the buildings that survived which show us what London looked like 350 years ago. A detailed booklet describes the fire and includes eye witness accounts from the diary of Samuel Pepys.